We Welcome Transfer Students
AUSOMA welcomes transfer students. We understand transferring to another institution can be a stressful process. An admissions specialist is happy to assist you with all of your questions or concerns as you complete your application.
Below are a few things to keep in mind:
- Applicants are expected to have satisfied the academic and financial obligations of the university they were attending previously.
- Transfers credits will only be accepted from an institution listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools (WDOM).
- Clinical Science transfer students will be expected to complete 72 weeks of clinical clerkships.
- If a student is transferring into Basic Sciences, they will be placed into the appropriate semester based upon completed courses at their previous university.
- AUSOMA functions off a system-based curriculum. If you are coming from a subject-based curriculum, be advised, this could affect your entry time into the desired program you wish to enroll.
- Online application submission along with a $100 application fee (non-refundable)
- Official transcripts from all universities attended (includes undergraduate, graduate, medical, and professional schools attended. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for admission purposes only)
- If applying to the 5-Year Pre-Med MD Program official high school transcripts will also be required
- Foreign transcript evaluations from an approved agency will be required for transcripts from any institution outside the US (Approved agencies listed below)
- World Education Services
- Joseph Silny & Associates
- Educational Credential Evaluators
- English Proficiency Test for students whose academic background is not in English: Official TOEFL (75 total on internet-based), IELTS (6.5 minimum) Cambridge B2 First / C1 Advanced / C2 Proficiency (176 minimum) or Duolingo (95 minimum) scores
- Current resume/CV
- Personal statement explaining your desire for a career in medicine, any leadership positions held, and accomplishments achieved.
- References: Two references are required from a faculty member/professor, or an employer/manager if you have been out of school for at least a year (References will be sent to referees from the application)
*Plagiarism is an academic offense and will disqualify you from consideration.
CLINICAL ROTATION PAPERWORK/REQUIREMENTS
- Passing USMLE Step 1
- Immigration/additional paperwork
- 4 passport-sized photos (two should be sent with your official application)
- Clear copy of your passport information/with picture page
- Immunization record (must include recent MMR, Hepatitis B Series, and TB); PPD cannot be over 12-month-old at any point during the rotations)
- USMLE board score report(s)
- Completed clinical rotation request form
- Completed Background check release form
- Verification of US citizenship, permanent residency, or other visa status (A Work Authorization Number (WAN) is required for the Canadian citizens)
Policies for inter-program transfer of credits
- AUSOMA mainly accepts transfer credits from MD to MD. Other inter-program transfers are not accepted EXCEPT from Doctor of Osteopathic medicine (DO)
- AUSOMA accepts transfer credits from DO applicants if the institute from which transfer is sought, is listed in WDOM. Transcripts of such applicants will be reviewed just like any other transferring student and the final decision of acceptance of transfer credits rests with the admissions committee.
- Transfer credits from DO are accepted for only AUSOMA basic sciences. There is no partial credits transfer. Applicants will be accepted to either MD1 or MD5.
- No credits are accepted for transfer to clinical rotations as COMLEX is not accepted by ECFMG and USMLE Step 1 is mandatory.