The Basic Sciences program at American University School of Medicine Aruba (AUSOMA) was designed to help you become a medical doctor.
It’s an accelerated program that groups 4 academic years of medical education into 42 solid months of training, board review time and in-between semester breaks. Our Caribbean islands medical school provides a high-yield education, without compromising total number of hours required to graduate from AUSOMA.
The 4-Year MD Program is composed of 19 months of pre-clinical courses in biomedical sciences combined. Take part in a Clinical Board Series led by patient and physician educators to maximize your clinical learning experience.
This is followed by 18 months of clinical opportunities in core and elective clerkships. Participate in clinical research in the United States, United Kingdom, India, or Aruba.
AUSOMA’s Basic Sciences program in Aruba allots up to 5 months for coordinating rotations in various specialties. The curriculum meets the Caribbean medical school requirements for becoming a practicing MD.
This MD program is flexible, which allows students to do extensive research, pursue advanced degrees, participate in special clinical rotation tracks, or explore other avenues of professional growth.
Basic Science Courses
Completed undergraduate degree (Biology, Chem. Pre-Med etc.…) or completed 90 hours of college level coursework with the following courses being completed. Inorganic / Gen. Chem with Labs (8hours), Organic Chem. with Labs (8hours), General Biology with Labs (8hours), Physics with Labs (8hours), English (8hours).
Basic Sciences Courses & Curriculum
The following is the curriculum for the AUSOMA Basic Sciences:
MD-1 (28 Credit Hours)
- MD 1001: Foundational Principles of Basic Sciences 13 Credit Hours
- MD 1002: Musculoskeletal System 8 Credit Hours
- MD 1003: Integumentary system 2 Credit Hours
- MD 1004: Clinical Skills-1 2 Credit Hours
- MD 1005: Preventive Medicine, Public Health and Quality Health Parameters 8 Credit Hours
MD-2 (27 Credit Hours)
- MD 2006: Nutrition and Metabolism 6 Credit Hours
- MD 2007: Behavioral Sciences and Neurology 13 Credit Hours
- MD 2008: Medical Ethics 2 Credit Hours
- MD 2009: Clinical Skills-2 2 Credit Hours
- MD 2010: Preventive Medicine, Public Health and Quality Health Parameters 4 Credit Hours
MD-3 (28 credit Hours)
- MD 3011: Respiratory System 9 Credit Hours
- MD 3012: Gastrointestinal system 9 Credit Hours
- MD 3016: Hematology and Oncology4 Credit Hours
- MD 3014: Clinical Skills-3 2 Credit Hours
- MD 3015: Preventive Medicine, Public Health and Quality Health Parameters 4 Credit Hours
MD-4 (30 credit Hours)
- MD 4016: Cardiovascular System 10 Credit Hours
- MD 4017: Renal System 4 Credit Hours
- MD 4018: Endocrine and Reproductive System 10 Credit Hours
- MD 4019: Clinical Skills-4 2 Credit Hours
- MD 4020: Preventive Medicine, Public Health and Quality Health Parameters 4 Credit Hours
MD-5 (27 Credit Hours)
- MD 5021: Introduction to Clinical Medicine 12 Credit Hours
- MD 5022: Review of Basic Sciences 15 Credit Hours